Perfect for using forced rhubarb and equally good as a hot pudding with cream or ice cream or cold as a cake this cake has a unique texture that is almost brownie like and will keep for up to a week getting moister with storage.
1 x 8″ square cake
125g unsalted butter, melted
185g golden caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of one orange
150g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
200g rhubarb stalks, sliced
50g caster sugar
Juice of half an orange
– Heat the oven to gas mark 5 / 190C and line an 8″ square baking tin.
– In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the butter and sugar.
– Add the eggs, vanilla and orange zest and stir well to combine.
– Fold in the flour and baking powder.
– Scrape the batter into the prepared tin.
– In a small mixing bowl combine the rhubarb, sugar and orange juice and mix well.
– Place the rhubarb evenly over the top of the cake batter.
– Bake for 30-40 minutes until the centre is set.
– Either allow to cool completely or serve warm as a pudding.