Rhubarb is plentiful on the allotment these days and I had a few leftover strawberries to use up quickly so I decided to make a quick crumble for dessert. The orange zest is really what makes this dish sing!
2 stalks rhubarb
~ 6 large strawberries
4 tbsp granulated sugar
Zest of half an orange
100g plain flour
75g light brown sugar
30g porridge oats
– Cut the rhubarb and strawberries into chunks and place in an oven proof dish.
– Zest the orange over the dish and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
– In a small bowl mix the remaining ingredients. Rub together until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
– Sprinkle the crumble mix over the fruit.
– Bake at 200°/Gas 6 for 30 minutes until the fruit is bubbling and the topping browned.
– Leave to stand to cool for five minutes before eating. (Boiling sugar is hot!)